Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pig Project!

Thank you to everyone who has been asking about, giving to, and spreading the word about the Pig Project!  For those of you who have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about... I'm about to tell you.

I am working with three Catel locals to help them each develop a pig project.  They make their own cement bricks for the barn, build the barn from the ground up, and are supplied with 5 pigs of an improved variety (4 females and one male).  Pigs have a huge market here in Guinea Bissau from parties to ceremonies, so the business is looking to be pretty profitable. 

I think in the future, I will introduce you to each of the guys who have a pig project, but for today, I'll just give you a taste of things to come...

Lona is the closest one to being finished.  Here are some pictures of his barn.
 
It's still lacking a roof.... that will come.


The big holes that you see there will become doors/gates.

 Each barn has 6 pens - I cannot wait to see those pens full!


While we're on the subject of agriculture, I thought I'd show you what my demo plot looks like now.

All those little plants in the foreground are little okra plants that are producing lots.  I have mulched with dried rice grass.  Look at that!  My demo plot is so photogenic!

I had to include this picture also.  I am quite proud of my baby tomato plants!  Recently, I made them  the jungle gyms that are featured in the picture (also known as tomato cages).

Stay tuned!  More to come - I'm on a good roll with the internet today.

-A-


No comments:

Post a Comment