Saturday, October 19, 2013

Hard-Knock Life....?

After another writing hiatus, I'm about to overwhelm you all with some thoughts... the first of three blogs to be posted today. - A

I really have it easy here.  “Are you crazy, women?”  Some people might say, “Pit latrines, no running water, and limited electricity are not elements of an ‘easy’ life.”  To you doubters, I respond, “It’s all about perspective.”

Sure, I may have involuntarily become a vegetarian because of the diet here, I may still be living out of a suitcase because wood is so expensive (and have therefore not yet bought a wardrobe), and rain water showers may be ice-cold, but if that’s all I have to complain about, what a life I live!  I do not face daily government persecution.  I do not face heavy persecution from other religious groups on a daily basis, and  the path has already been cleared for me as far as evangelism goes among the people groups I work with (figuratively and literally… however pot-holey the roads actually are).
It’s not like this all around the world, and it didn't even used to be like this in Guinea Bissau.  I am currently reading a book called Lus Numia na Sukuru about the history of the evangelical church in Guinea Bissau from its foundation in 1940 until Guinea Bissau’s independence in 1974.  If it wasn't written in Portuguese Creole, I would definitely recommend it to all of you, however, I imagine that most of my readers are not fluent in Creole. J

The story shares of the trials, journeys, and exciting times of the (then) single missionary Bessie Fricker.  In 1940, Guinea Bissau was still under Portuguese rule and Catholicism was the main religion.  The sending mission board was told by the government that “there were enough Priests already in Guinea Bissau to satisfy the spiritual wants of the Guinensi people,” and they therefore rejected Bessie’s application to enter Guinea Bissau. 


Bessie was strong in prayer in the face of sickness, religious persecution, and “sorry, I can’t help you” ’s.  Today, the Evangelical church of Guinea Bissau, though centralized in Bissau, is wide-spread, locally led, and full of sincere believers in Jesus. Whooo God!

No comments:

Post a Comment