Saturday, October 19, 2013

"God had finished His work, so He rested"

Coming from a cold climate culture, it’s very easy to say that we live in an action-oriented world.  Even in a warm climate culture [to understand a bit more about cold/warm climate cultures, see this link: http://writing.colostate.edu/guides/teaching/esl/cultural.cfm], there’s always someone (or something) who needs your attention.  I might be weeding my garden when a friend comes to hang out… People come selling bananas at our doorstep at 7 am, and we often have people hanging out at our house late at night.  There is a near steady stream of people coming and going from the mission house.  Quiet/alone time is very difficult to come by…. Nearly impossible, actually.  I have admittedly shut myself up in my room before and pretended that I wasn’t at home, but people are persistent – let me tell you!

The only un-interrupted rest I get is when I actually get away. So, that’s what I’m doing this weekend.  I canceled English class, excused myself from worship practice, sacrificed hearing a sermon in English on Sunday (Mike’s preaching, and it’s being translated), and said, “Peace out!  I’ll be home to make supper Sunday night!”

Now, I’m sitting here in my little hotel room trying to figure out what it actually means to “rest.”

I know in my head that rest is important… to avoid burn out and stuff.  I often feel like a weakling though, admitting that I need rest every once and a while.  I went on a Scripture hunt to define what it meant to take rest.  Here are my findings (likely not an exhaustive list, but a start).
  • By resting, I am imitating God.  After all, the God of the universe rested (not like He needed it, but He rested nonetheless). Genesis 2:2-3
  • Rest means stop doing and just being. Genesis 2:2-3
  • It’s a commandment, and focuses us back to the original reason why we were created… to give God glory. Exodus 20:8-11
  • God called the Israelites to leave their land fallow (un-worked) every 7th year, so during the 7th year, when they had no harvest, they needed to rely on God to have provided enough crops in previous years (Leviticus 25:20-22).  Rest is reliance on God
  • When we are letting God be our Shepherd, He makes us lie down in green pastures and leads us beside peaceful streams and restores our souls. Psalm 23
  • Rest is living in the shelter of the Most High and seeking refuge in His presence. Psalm 91:1
  • Rest is trusting in God’s provisions. Psalm 127:2
  • I should not feel overwhelmed if I am constantly handing my life over to Jesus.  Matthew 11:28-30
  • Rest is to be at peace with God now and for eternity.  In true rest, creation is being renewed and restored.  It is also believing in God’s good and perfect work in us.  Hebrews 4

I came to the conclusion that “resting” is dwelling in my Maker’s presence and allowing Him to restore my soul.  It involves letting go…. To stop doing, and just be with my Master… Refocusing and giving Him the glory.  Yes and Amen.

And.... just because I haven't posted a picture in a while, here is me "resting" in my hammock.  Yes folks, that's a banana tree in the background. :) 

-A-

No comments:

Post a Comment