Monday, July 8, 2013

This little piggy went to Africa...

Me:  What does Weaverland Mennonite Church's Vacation Bible School (VBS) and the Guinea Bissau Pig Project have in common?

You:  I don't know, Adrianne.  Tell me!

Me:  They are both being featured in this blog post!  Woot!

There are so many things to tell you, it seems, but so little time to write everything (and I feel like the longer I'm here, the harder it is for me to communicate in English, so you'll have to pardon me if my syntax is a little off).  Recently though, I've been hit with the generosity of the kids from Weaverland's VBS.  Every summer, Weaverland puts on a themed week where kids can come in the evening and learn about the Bible.  It often starts off with singing and a fun skit.  Later, kids break up into age groups for Bible lessons, crafts and snacks.  VBS kids also adopt a project and raise money for it during the week.  This year, they raised money for the Guinea Bissau's pig project.  I was absolutely blown away by how much they raised (enough to start 2 1/2 more pig projects)!

I know many of you reading this blog have also donated to the pig project, and I'm sad that I can't do a blog post on each one of you.  Each and every little bit has helped to better the lives of families here in Catel.  My many thanks goes out to Sheila Martin of Sheila Martin Photography (www.smartinphoto.com) for the following pictures and to the VBS Planning team for putting it all together!

Some of the kids and teachers during song time.

Steve Martin leads the kids in singing with the help of some mascots who might prefer to be left nameless.


I absolutely had to include this picture of my brother playing the part of the sheriff during skit time.


This mascot is also related to me, but he/she will remain nameless.  It looks like everyone had fun there, and I'm very grateful for their help in raising funds for the pig project!  Good work guys!


While we're on the subject of the pig project, I thought I would give you an update on how the projects that have already begun are going.  Honestly, I feel like sometimes I'm in a real-life story of the parable of the talents (if you are unfamiliar with this story, you can read Matthew 25:14-30 or click on the link http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2025:14-30&version=NIV)

I have renamed the guys as "Guy 1," "Guy 2," and "Guy 3" to protect their integrity.

Guy 1: Guy 1 is doing an amazing job!  Every time I go over there, I am absolutely impressed.  He is really serious about keeping his pigs on the actual pig feed ration and cleans the pens and gives clean water every day.

Guy 2: Guy 2 seems like he's doing the best he can, juggling all the other responsibilities that he has.   He has also been supplementing the pig ration that we suggested with left over  rice, and his pigs have grown accustomed to rice to the point that they prefer it (though it has little nutritional value) over their vitamin-complete feed mill food.  They are still growing fine, but are not as big as I think they could be.

Guy 3: Over the last few months, Guy 3 has disappeared and has stopped coming to church.  I mean, he's around, but other stuff seems more important to him.  His barn is STILL unfinished, and since April, he's been keeping his pigs in one room of an abandoned house.  I haven't been able to get a hold of him to vaccinate his pigs either, nor have I seen his pigs since April.

Though we carefully chose three church leaders who we saw as responsible men, this stuff happens in business sometimes.  They were each given a loan agreement (the money raised for the pig project is a micro-loan, not a gift), and must pay the loan back regardless of how successful or unsuccessful their pig business becomes.  The way it is set up, each participant of the pig project borrows a huge sum of money at the beginning of the project (to build the barn, buy the pigs, etc), but gradually pays it back with the proceeds from each litter of pigs sold.  This way, the pig project as a whole can be sustainable, and many more families in Catel can benefit from it.

If you have any questions about the pig project, feel free to shoot me an email or leave a comment on this blog (email: sothatafricamayknow@gmail.com).

Hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July!  Until later!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment