Saturday, April 20, 2013

All things Ag

Hello!  It's been awhile!

I have to say that last weekend here in Catel was an exciting one!  Men from Catel and some surrounding villages came to a 2 day agricultural seminar that I coordinated.  I know for sure that everyone had a lot of fun (including the teacher), and people left the seminar excited to implement principles in their own fields. And it's not over yet!  People who missed out on the seminar are asking me for the materials.  I am also in the process of translating materials for "farming rice fields God's way". As per my norm, I thought a photo gallery was appropriate to demonstrate to you what went on.  Enjoy!

PREP WORK:
Clearing the area that will become our "well-watered garden".

"Who dug a hole the size of Adrianne?" you ask.  I discovered all I have to do at this mission house is mention that I have work that would be really good exercise, and BAM!  Free labor comes running to help this damsel in distress!

Carrying "God's Blanket" (aka mulch) to cover our garden area.


IN THE CLASSROOM:
Our discussion group was wrestling over some tough questions as to the biblical basis of "Farming God's Way" (the curriculum I used to supplement my teaching).


IN THE FIELD:
This was one of my favorite parts!  I got to explain about soil horizons (my field of study).

Some of my students, extremely interested in what I have to say about "dirt".

Salifu adding to the mulch - Good work, Salifu!

My students explaining to me how we could make our garden square.

Nemias is making zai holes which will become individual fertilization sites.

Sadja dominating the wheelbarrow.

 I was really excited to hear their responses at the end of the seminar - what they were excited to implement in their fields, what they still wanted to learn and what I could do better next time.  Thank you to each of you who were praying!


1 comment:

  1. awesome, BC!!! :) You did an amazing job, I am sure! I miss you so much, it was really good to see your pictures and read your post!

    ReplyDelete