Saturday, February 23, 2013

The pigs are coming! The pigs are coming!

Pardon me if all you feel like you hear about these days is the pig project, but the pig project is a pretty major part of what I'm doing right now.

Recently, I visited the facility in Senegal where we will be getting our improved pigs from.  I thought you'd like to see some pictures!

Here is the place!  It's called CPUS - it's a locally operated Spanish NGO.  They have a sizable poultry project, a rabbit project, the pig project, and a slaughterhouse.

They even have their own feedmill for the poultry project.  It's said that they supply all of southern Senegal with eggs.

Here's the meat rabbit project I spoke of earlier.  It brought back memories of my own meat and pet rabbit project when I was little.

This is what the inside of CPUS's pig barn looks like.

Peek-a-boo!  They all stood up to greet us.

Classic pig picture, but gives you more of an idea of how big the pigs are compared to the local breed (see previous blog posts).


Here are some of the pigs that will be coming to live with us in Catel on March 15th!  WOOT!


This pellet mixture, along with palm nut cakes is what our pigs will be eating.

Thanks for reading!  We're all excited for their arrival.  Thank you all for your emails and support!

-A


1 comment: